Saturday, December 17, 2005

Recently I added my name to Wikipedia. For those of you who are not familiar with Wikipedia, it is an online encyclopedia that is updated and edited by anyone who feels that it is their duty to do something like constantly edit and update an encyclopedia. Anyway, recently I added an entry about myself, Charles J. McCarthy III as there was not an entry for anyone named Charles J. McCarthy III. I saw no harm in adding an entry about myself because I exist and if there is no one else more important than me with the exact same name as me, what harm could come of it. I didn't say anything that was untrue or any more untrue than most of the history that children study in school about people long dead, but apparently the addition of my name to the Wikipedia upset someone because my listing was erased. I put it back and it was erased again. They also keep erasing the addition that I made to the Adult Swim definition:

For example, recently a man calling himself Charles J. McCarthy III has been actively campaigning to be hired by the network with marginal success. He posted a message on the Adult Swim message board that read, "Tell Adult Swim to hire me." Adult Swim responded with the message, "Sorry, we don't need anymore janitors."


Why is someone so upset about the prospect of the world knowing that I exist and something about some of my accomplishments? Are they trying to tell me that I don't exist? Are they scared that I will get a job at Adult Swim? I don't think we will ever know the answers to these questions especially if they are constantly being erased from Wikipedia. Luckily, they can't erase my blog, or at least I don't think that they can.

I guess I will have to keep adding myself to the history of the world according to Wikipedia.

Click here to see the definition of Adult Swim and to see who is winning the battle.

1 Comments:

Blogger gw said...

I think this is why they removed it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:AUTO

-GW

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home